Monday, March 17, 2014

Today's plan...

1. Snow day for the kids. We have about 6 inches of the white stuff. We have to get the two vehicles cleared off, shovel out the drive way, the side walk in front of the house, and the porch out back.

2. I was looking over the CVS sale ad, and Dollar Tree ad. CVS has Scott Tissue for 6.99 (12 pack). My kiw down dirt price for a roll of Scott tissue is 69 cents. The math for this per roll is 58 or 59 cents a roll. CVS is offering 5 dollar certificate for 20 dollars in purchases. CVS also has VO5 on sale for 77 cents. Dollar Tree can't beat that price I'm pretty sure. The VO5 is a 15 ounce bottle. I am thinking that I will run over to CVS, pick up three packages of Scott TP, get the five dollar care bucks, and stock up on VO5 shampoo (we only use a bottle of conditioner rarely, one last about 3 months). We have two bottles of Dollar Tree White Rain that are 1/4 full, and one full bottle in the cabinet, so this would help immensely. We have one bottle of conditioner in the shower, and two in the cabinet, so we don't need more of that.

3. More CVS. They are currently having a sale on Purex Laundry Soap. It's buy one get two free. I bought a bottle of Laundry Soap at Dollar Tree. I finished the Extra I had been using. The Dollar Tree laundry soap is 64 ounces, and is considered 32 loads. the bottle says to use an 2 ounces a load for proper washing and I only use half a cap. So, I could stretch this out for 64 loads. Depending on the cost/size of the Purex, it has to be a great deal.

4. Dinner is going to be a pot pie. I have three containers of various meats (beef, pork, chicken) with veggies and gravy in them that I pulled out of the freezer. I'm thawing them in the fridge, and will use my recipe book to find a dumpling/biscuit recipe to put on top of the left overs, and put them in the oven.

5. House work and the budget....waiting to get some news.

4 comments:

  1. Debbie
    Do you prefer Scott tissue? I ask as I purchase 18 ct double rolls of "northern" type TP @ Aldi's for $6.99. Great deal.
    Yes, the VO5 sold @ Dollar tree is 15 oz, I just bought some, so I double checked. Better deal at the other store.
    Recently (last week?) there were coupons for Purex in the Sunday paper. It's a brand we tend to use, although I'm not brand loyal. I PREFER Gain, but not the price. : ( So, it's the $2 or less 50 oz bottles for me. Did you like the DT liquid detergent? Someone on line recommended the Sun brand powder laundry soap. I haven't tried it yet, and would like to do a cost comparison based on amount of cost per use. Powders vs liquid are different and I also tend to use less than manufacturer's recommend.
    Pot pie sounds good, esp. on a snow day. Do you have any Bisquick? that's my go to for dumplings, although I mix up my own, homemade mix version.

    Sorry that you await news . . doesn't bode well. : (

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not brand loyal, but I like the 1,000 sheets per roll thing. I like the Dollar Tree detergent, and not brand loyal. I have never tried the Sun Brand powder soap. I'm a liquid kind of gal, but am willing to change if it's cost effective. I don't have any bisquick, I was just going to make my own using some flour, reconstituted milk, and what ever else the recipe called for. I have to watch my budget carefully for the time being. Every expense counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a link to a dumpling recipe:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/moms-simple-dumplings/

    Basic ingredients, I think you'd be able to make them. flour, baking soda, salt, shortening (any fat will do), milk. To jazz them up: add parsley, herbed seasoning mix, a bit (1/4 cup) grated cheese, or leave plain.
    HTH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the recipe I have in my cookbook. I love the all recipe website. I've used it many times in the past. I figure they will be plain, since I am out of cheese. I have parsley, basil, and the usual stuff, poultry seasoning, sage, garlic powder, onion powder. etc. I am out of thyme.

      Delete