Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A couple of thoughts....

The from scratch french toast cinnamon vanilla topping was very sweet, but my kids thought it was "the bomb". We have 3/4 of it left in a mug for the fridge. We will be using this in the future. I was surprised when I was making it. I didn't think it was going to reduce well, but it worked out pretty well. I didn't have heavy cream, and used reconstituted fat free milk.

Dollar Tree detergent is great. It is a little thin, but I only use half a cap full. It works well, does the job cleaning our laundry, and there's not a strong scent. It's a very faint smell and doesn't linger when the clothes are hung to dry.

Dollar Tree fabric softener is a pretty good deal, as long as you use it sparingly. The bottle states it will last for nine loads. It's a 11 ounce bottle, and the directions say to use 2 cap fulls. I use 1/2 a cap full for each load. It doesn't leave a lingering strong scent and does the job when I hang laundry to dry.

I got a call from the vet regarding Jackson. He was supposed to go to SPAY VA on Monday for his snipping. It got cancelled because of the snow day. The vet told me that he needs another vaccination, and it's going to have to be put on hold.

We are using those grocery store bags to line two small trash cans in the bathrooms. I am also using them to clean up the cat litter. I emptied the big bag of cat food that was 1/4 full into a smaller container. I'm using the cat food bag as a kitchen trash bag. I will use the larger grocery store bags as kitchen trash bags too. It keeps the "real trash bags" under the sink.

My other hound dog has a refill on her heart medicine. I pick it up tomorrow. 44 dollars.

We turned the heat down to 67 degrees. It has been set to 70 for a LONG time. This is a big change for us. I'm hoping to be able to keep it off beginning of April.

The bank account....I have every cleared that I wrote checks out for. I just paid April's mortgage this afternoon, and still have some cash in the account. I have not touched my savings account and still have 3800 in it. It's my safety net and I am scared to access it. I will if I have no other choice.

Still waiting on the news about work....I am not good at waiting. It's stressful and chaotic for me.

Ya gotta do what you gotta do.

4 comments:

  1. Debbie
    Can you specify the label of the DTree detergent and softener that you liked? For example, liquid Purex 50 oz bottle.
    Glad you liked the homemade syrup. I also think it's good that you can pronounce the ingredients. The stuff sold scares me, to be honest. I was blessed with gallons (no lie!) of the real stuff this Winter, from a friend. Very nice!
    We do the same re: trash bags and re-using the store bags and large pet food bags.
    Hope you hear soon about work. the wait can be terrible. : (
    Carol in CT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 64 ounces of Ultra Concentrated laundry detergent with oxygen, It's a blue bottle that has 32 loads written on the front.

      15.2 ounces of Suavitel in a blue bottle with a small print saying good for 9 loads. The scent is field flowers. I'm just saying it provides for more than nine loads when only using half a cap full. I can do nine loads easily in just a few days. It also has a "30 days of freshness" stamp on it.

      Delete
  2. Debbie
    Thanks for the info. I am familiar with Suavatel, it's sold at the grocer's also, and sometimes there are coupons out. A good product. I only use liquid softener on towels. That said, I do have a stockpile of almost free dryer sheets for those odd times that I dry other things. I line dry everything otherwise, including towels, which usually only get 30 minutes in the dryer to soften them up. I don't feel that non machine dried clothes need fabric softener, the purpose of which is to cut down on static cling. JMHO. Have you ever tried not using fabric softener on clothes you hang to dry?
    Some have used white vinegar as a liquid fabric softener and report good results, no vinegar smell once dried. I haven't personally ever used it as a fabric softener.

    I am currently using a gigantic bottle of Downy liquid that I got months ago when another bottle of Downy got all globby, leaving blobs of blue all over my towels. I emailed P & G, they sent me a coupon for a freebie, no size or price limit so I headed to WM and bought a $13 (?) bottle of the stuff. They explained that the Downy must have frozen at some point. Having used it for years, it was a new experience to me. Nice Customer Service.

    I'll keep an eye out for the detergent you mention. My go to price is under $5 for a 50 oz bottle, but I've been able to get deals at more like $2/50 oz bottle. I have a stockpile of Purex (what we usually end up with) and some All. Not brand loyal at all here.

    Carol in CT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have white vinegar and never tried it as a fabric softener. The one bottle I have of the fabric softener I bought was a whim purchase. I don't normally use fabric softener, but my kids are complaining about their clothing being "hard" from being hung up. The purex at CVS today for their buy one get two free was 6.49 a bottle. I passed, since the Dollar Tree purchase is far more reasonable.

      Delete