Saturday, March 15, 2014

5 things I did that were frugal...

Well, I've seen this on many blogs I read/follow so I figured I would take a quick minute to promote my 5 things.

1. Balanced my checking account/savings account.

  • Why?? It's important to know what has cleared my checking account on a daily basis. I like to keep track, so I know how much is in my accounts, knowing that in an emergency I can still pay the monthly bills, keep food on the table, and provide for my family. 
2. Washing laundry in cold, using 1/2 less liquid detergent and liquid softener, and hanging it up to dry. 
  • I've always washed laundry in cold. I found some detergent at Dollar Tree and using 1/2 less than what the top says to use. It keeps the detergent lasting longer, saving me some money, and promoting a "use less" lifestyle. I use dollar store fabric softener (1/2 less than the top), and when it's running low, I will add some water to the bottle to get the last bits out. I always hang the laundry up to dry. My kids have grown up like this, and my husband doesn't complain. 
3. I have stayed out of the grocery stores!
  •  Enough said. My kids are beginning to look for snacks. So, today, I'm thinking that we have some sugar cookies in the freezer that they can make, along with a cheap cake in the pantry bought at Aldi a while back. 
4. We eat all the left overs, or create a "buffet style" dinner. 
  • We have been eating left overs for part of the week. Our lunch will include some left over pasta, broccoli, and a white sauce.  Tonight's meal includes some left overs, lurking produce, and some pantry items. Lately, all meals have been made at home. 
5. I cleaned out my car's inside. We are selling aluminum cans at the local metal shop. 
  • What a job that was. I've found a few things that were lost. One washable grocery bag, a few pens, and some napkins were in the glove department (my working part time kid gets take out after work). The aluminum cans are saved in a huge 33 gallon trash can in our back yard. When it's full, my husband takes it to zuckerman's shop on the other side of town. They will buy all kinds of metal/aluminum at various prices. The cans go for 69 cents a lb. The rate changes daily, and they are only open Monday-Friday. We go about every two months.  

5 comments:

  1. You did good this week! High Five!! :)

    I like reading about the frugal things people do during their week. I know that my week is loaded with thrifty little things that I regularly do but when I actually try to sit and think of them I come up blank- haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do the same thing with aluminum cans, but I think my DH uses those big 55 gallon contractor bags. He just puts the bags inside our woodshed and takes them in about once a year. We don't get much, usually around $50 or so and he has always split it between the kids, since they were the ones who always crushed the cans before putting inside the bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids are weird sometimes. They love taking the cans out to the back porch and crushing them with their feet. We get maybe 3 or 4 dollars every two months. I always wonder what the shop does with the cans, but I see them being crushed, strapped to pallets, and put aside. Maybe they sell them back to the soda companies???

      Delete
  3. Here in Sth Australia we get 10cents a can on soda cans. It's a good incentive to save cans and not have them go into land fill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10 cents a can....HOLY CRAP!!! That's awesome. I wish that was the case here in Virginia.

      Delete