Friday, March 21, 2014

Planning for the weekend...using things up.

The pasta from tonight was put in two different containers for the fridge. I divided the meatballs into two different containers, placed some sauce over it, labeled and dated, then put into the freezer. The sauce that wasn't used was dated and put into the fridge.

I was talking to my husband and asked him if he would make a crock pot of chili tomorrow. I have pinto beans (dry that are currently soaking) and asked him if he minded if we used those instead of going to the store for kidney beans. He didn't object (he's such a wise man). So, the pinto beans are soaking. I took two small onions, two garlic cloves, a 28 ounce of canned crushed tomatoes, a 8 ounce can of tomato sauce, basil, paprika, chili powder, and have one large green pepper, with several small red, yellow, orange peppers that I will cut and dice in the AM. I have some sharp cheddar that I will grate to serve with it.

There's no sour cream. It's meatless, and the grated cheese offering will be small portions. I might make a loaf of homemade bread in my ABM. I am not spending any money picking up things at the store. It's making due and using what we have available.

4 comments:

  1. Oooohhh! Chili sounds sooooo good! When I make chili I usually make a large pot of white rice to go with it and we eat it over the rice. I never ate it that way growing up but my husband, who came from a large family with very little money, said they always ate it that way- it stretches the meal farther. Now I eat it like that all the time and I find that I can get several meals out of just one pot of chili. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some times I put rice with the chili. It depends on how much is left over.

      Delete
  2. We actually prefer pinto beans over kidney beans in chilli. Sounds like a great, easy meal. DO you cook it on the stove, in a pressure cooker or a crock pot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually just put it in the crock pot and let it simmer all day. We don't have a pressure cooker.

      Delete