Saturday, March 29, 2014

Planning ahead...using things up.

Since my husband paid a HUGE amount of money for that ham we had last night, we are using it up, and making it last.

The kids still have 1/4 plate of sliced ham for tomorrow's sandwiches. They used a good portion of ham today for their lunch today.

We used a small amount of ham "fat" for our eggs and hash browns tonight.

I took out the last two cups of pinto beans that were in the pantry. The bag is empty, placed in the recycling, and the beans are soaking on the stove top until tomorrow AM. I have half an onion that needs to be used (it will be peeled and chopped). We have four lurking carrots that are thin looking (We have a 5 lb bag but it's not open yet, this is the last of a 2 lb bag we had) and need to be used.
In the morning, I will finish rinsing the pinto beans, slice up the onion, dice up the four carrots, and take that awesome ham bone I have in the freezer in the crock pot. I will add some water to cover everything, and set it on low to simmer for at least 8 hours. We will have ham and bean soup for dinner tomorrow.

It should not need too much in the way of spices.

4 comments:

  1. Ham and bean soup is wonderful! I usually use just black pepper, a Bay leaf. I don't add salt as I feel that there is plenty in the ham itself. Do you have any cornmeal for corn muffins/bread? that would go along very well with your supper. If not, drop biscuits a la bisquick type would also be good.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did put a little pepper in it. I don't have bay leaves or corn meal. I need to get to the store at some point. My kids love biscuits and would really enjoy them with the bean soup. Here'a the recipe I found on Allrecipies.com. I don't have buttermilk, but I can use some skim milk in the fridge.

      http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Buttered-Biscuits

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting that recipe, a nice, simple one! Here's a link to make a buttermilk substitute:

    http://frugalliving.about.com/od/condimentsandspices/r/Buttermilk_Sub.htm


    Just milk plus vinegar or lemon juice. I've often done this, using dry milk (reconstituted) plus white vinegar.


    HTH

    ReplyDelete