Friday, March 7, 2014

3/7 dinner

I usually use canned pinto beans for my bean soup. Well, when I was Aldi, I decided to try regular pinto beans. I am making bean soup today for dinner. I go back to work tonight, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday night shift. This soup will keep the kids, husband, and I fed for two meals, plus some left over for my work lunches.

I'm using the last 28 ounce can of pinto beans in the pantry. I soaked one cup of beans in 6 cups of water for 8 hours. I put them in to soak at 9 last night, and it's a little past five this morning. They are all going into the crock pot, with five thin looking carrots. I have a 3 quart container of ham stock (from Christmas) that I will be using. I'm going to take a cup of ham stock and mix it with a few cups of water and put it into the crock pot. I also have my last container of homemade chicken stock from the freezer, along with pan drippings from the other night to go into the crock pot. We have some left over fajita fillings that can be turned into a salad to go with the soup. My daughters finished all the fajita meat last night.

It will simmer and we will eat around 4:00-4:30. I work 12 hour night shifts all weekend, 7-7.

What we used:
1 cup of pinto beans
my last can of pinto beans
5 carrots
1 cup of ham stock
one small container of homemade chicken stock
1/4 cup of pan drippings (chicken)
a few cups of water

6 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. My go to price for beans: 50 cents/15 oz can or $1/lb dried. A lb of dried beans will yield 2 cans worth of prepared beans, so 1/2 as expensive. A trick is to overnight or quick soak some beans, then simmer the next day until soft. Strain, freeze in 2 cup amounts-the amount a can should provide. An easy, do it yourself convenience food.

    If you have it, a Bay leaf is a good addition to your pintos above. I'd also add black pepper but no salt, as the ham stock should have plenty. Got any celery? A bit would be a nice addition to the soup

    ReplyDelete
  2. I soaked them almost 8 hours. I did put in some pepper, I don't use any extra added salt in the cooking (none of us need the extra sodium in our diet). I got a nice whiff of the ham stock (which was gelatinous when thawed), and there is really not any need for salt. I only used a cup of ham stock. I have to work this weekend, and don't want to go in dehydrated from sodium overload. I added some chicken stock, pan drippings, and a few cups of good old water. I don't have any celery (I forgot to but it at Aldi). I have celery salt, but opted due to the high sodium content in the stock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ham stock sounds to be pure gelatin, which is exactly what you want! A true stock in Jello like in consistency, otherwise, it's just broth. This should come out delicious! Agree on the sodium-it's something I like to avoid in my cooking, as I am salt sensitive and don't need blown up hands/feet as a result of too much. How about some onion with the beans? got kale/spinach/collards or any other greens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think to put the onion in with the beans.It really didn't even cross my mind. We are not very adventurous with greens. I need some encouragement.

      Delete
  4. HI Debbie,
    like you I'm also an RN and the only wage earner of now a family of four since step daughter moved out. It's hard at times isn't it. At the moment I've just had my fourth surgery which is work related so I'm off work for 8 weeks. This is only at 80% of base wage, noooo penalty rates in there!
    I've learnt in the past 4 years with these surgeries that you can only do what you can do, as long as the bills are paid and food is in the kids bellies then everything else can wait. Your doing a great job!
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen,

      Some months are a little more challenging than others. It can be a rude awakening for those who are not prepared. We were in BIG debt in the beginning of our one income (2006). I managed to pay off 15 thousand dollars since 2006 in debt. I am down to my student loan and mortgage, along with household bills. I hope your healing well. Maybe we can share ideas on working, income tips, and how to manage stress levels....

      Delete