Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Leftovers that need to be used....

This week we are going to work on getting rid of some of the lurking stuff in the fridge.

One serving of bean soup
two servings of chili
one serving of potatoes/carrots
1/4 of a crock potted chuck roast with 1/4 cup of pan.


The bean soup, potatoes/carrots will be lunch for either my husband or myself.

If I get to the store today, I'm thinking that I will buy some tortilla chips and serve the chili with chips for the kids snack. I can put the chips on a plate, serve it with chili on top, and add some deli end cheese I have in the freezer. The kids would love this as a snack.

I need an idea for the left over roast. I don't want to serve it as a "hunk of beef roast". I'd rather turn it into something else to serve this week for dinner.

Any thoughts???


5 comments:

  1. Hey there! :)
    Maybe you can shred the roast up and make sandwiches out of it? Or make it into a casserole with some gravy, pasta and veggies? Or cut it up and make a vegetable soup and add in the beef?
    How are you liking the new job?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like my new job. I had four days of orientation and finish this weekend, then I am finally able to get my own assisgnments. It's a nice change from my previous position (which in my heart I love). It was just too much emotional stress. I never thought about the vegetable soup. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some ideas:
    1-grind up the roast beef in the food processor, and use as you would pre-cooked, ground beef: tacos, sheppard's pie, spaghetti sauce, etc. I've done this with excellent results
    2-cube up the beef into smaller, stew sized pieces. Place in covered saute/fry pan with a few cut up carrots/potatoes/onion/celery. Add a can of tomato soup (can sub tomato sauce) with some water-about 1/2 a can. I add black pepper, basil, a bayleaf. Let come to a simmer, cover and let "stew" about 1/2 an hour. TOss in any l/o veg that are lurking. Serve as a stew. A friend taught me this years ago.

    HTH

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often cut it into cubes and cover with gravy--if there is no leftover gravy, use some bouillon cubes to make it--darken with a dash of soy sauce or balsamic vinegar it it's too light to look appetizing. This gets served over noodles or rice or even mashed potatoes--whatever you have, or like. If there are leftover carrots and potatoes, I reheat those in the frying pan and pour the gravy and beef over them to serve. Just use what you have, and some imagination. There are no wrong answers!!

    ReplyDelete