Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Frugal cooking....

My goal is to not throw groceries away. It's like throwing money in the trash can. It's terrible the amount of wasted food tend to throw away. Imagine buying groceries, deciding not to eat them, and them tossing everything.

There's a lot of hungry folks in this world. We could solve the hunger problem with the amount of food that ends up in the landfill.

So, I have four bananas that have BLACK, and I mean BLACK peels. I don't want to toss them, since I paid good hard cash for them at the store. I decided to peel them and make a loaf of homemade banana bread.

4 bananas
2 cups of flour
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup of fat free milk (didn't say in the recipe, but without some sort of liquid, the batter is very thick)
walnuts, pecans, chocolate chips (I don't have any of this stuff!!!!!!!)

I am baking it at 350 for an hour. The kids will like this for breakfast or a snack before bed. The recipe came from my Fannie Farmer Cookbook.


6 comments:

  1. Yummm! Banana Bread sounds so good right now! I don't like food waste either- have been trying to use every last drop of stuff we have in the house lately. Lately our bananas haven't been making it long enough to get overripe (kids and I are on a serious banana kick these last few weeks) but when I do have any leftover overripe ones I like to make banana bread, muffins or smoothies with them.
    I have a really old copy of the Fanny Farmer Cookbook too, in paperback. I got it in an antique store years ago- it's cool, isn't it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mine. I use it a lot combined with allrecipies.com.

      Delete
  2. Black bananas are sitting on my kitchen counter at the moment, and are on my "to do" list for today. I am thinking monkey bars (a banana-mini choc chip bar cookie I make)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so good. A combination of banana and chocolate would make me smile.

      Delete
  3. When my bananas get past edible stage (fresh), I freeze them and use for banana bread or muffins as well as smoothies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids finished up the banana bread with their dinner tonight.

      Delete