Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Dinner 2/18 Using what we have....

Cabbage rolls...or what I should say is cabbage casserole. It's easier to just lie everything out in layers in a baking pan and put into the oven for almost an hour. My mom used to make this with tomato soup topping, but my husband doesn't care for it with the soup. I made this earlier in January, and used chicken stock. I'm going to try to use the beef stock I made in December.


One head of cabbage
three cups of beef stock (dated 12/17/13 from the freezer)
2 cups of long grain rice (steamed)
1 lb 80/20 ground beef
2 cloves chopped garlic
three large carrots diced small
2 small onions
black pepper
parsley (almost out)

2 comments:

  1. Can you explain a little more how you assemble this? I think I would like this and it looks pretty economical. I think I would add fresh grated ginger (very cheap and very flavorful).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty labor intenvisive. The cabbage leaves need to be boiled for five minutes. The hamburger needs to be cooked until brown, and the rice needs to be cooked and simmered for 20 minutes. I cut up the garlic, onion, carrots into small pieces. When the cabbage was finished boiling, I put a few leaves on the bottom of a pan, then added a layer of ground beef, then rice, then veggies. I repeated with cabbage, meat, rice, and veggies. When the pan was filled, I added the beef stock to the top. I put this in the oven on 350 until it was warmed through, about an hour. It's very economical, and tasted ok. The previous one I made in January with chicken stock was terrific.

    ReplyDelete