Friday, January 10, 2014

What's been happening...

the good.....since I did the budget yesterday, we went out for dinner at Chipolte. It's a healthy Mexican restaurant, all fresh veggies, lean proteins, etc etc. It's pretty awesome. We had a good time, everyone had something they liked, and we spent time as a family.


the bad...my work sent out an announcement that they laid off 33 folks in "management positions, engineering, and other various departments in the organization". The memo stated that none of the lay offs will effect the nursing staff. They have also eliminated 25 vacant positions that were in need of filling.

That just makes me way to nervous for comfort. The memo stated that due to the Affordable Care Act, and the lack of expanding medicaid, the folks who are seeking care are unable to pay. It's a sad thing all the way around, no matter how one looks at it.

This makes me want to throw up. I get nervous when I hear of things that are close to my heart. I love having the position I do, and care about the situations of others. I would rather not be one of the few chosen for a lay off. I've been working as a staff nurse since 2006 (when I got out of nursing school). It provides a decent income, medical insurance, dental insurance, a retirement plan, etc etc etc.

2 comments:

  1. That is scary to have hanging over your head. I hadn't heard that hospitals were laying off people due to ACA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently they are in Virginia. It's very sad for all the folks involved. It's scary to think that it could happen to me. So far, so good. I like to keep it that way.

    ReplyDelete