Tuesday, January 21, 2014

January Low Spend, Pantry Challenge


We are a family of five, with my staff nurse position in ICU as the means of income. I support a family of five, one kid in community college, two teens in high school, a husband, three cats and a dog. 


I have a grocery budget of 300 dollars. I have 140 left for January.

We have been slowly using things up. The starred items are almost gone. We have come into a little expense. I filled four prescriptions for a guest at WATTS (my community service activity twice a week, was costly, but he needed them), and I have a roof repair that I'm waiting for an appointment. I can't imagine how much this is going to be. I called my home owners insurance and have a 1,000 deductible. Prior to 2006 and obtaining my nursing position, I used to have a problem with hoarding food. We were on food stamps and looking at losing our home. It took a lot of work on all parts to learn that we are making changes. I am beginning to get into panic mode thinking about the roof repairs. I tried to talk to my husband about it, but he doesn't understand that I tend to worry about things like that. On the other hand, I have received a statement from my 403 B retirement, and after 7 years, I've earned 24 thousand in it. I know it's not much, but it's the most I've ever had to my name for the future. I'm waiting out for tax time to boost up my savings account, and get some more cash paid into my Wells Fargo A obligation (my snowball step). I would like to drop a large amount to get the balance below 20K. 

Pantry:

3 boxes of oatmeal

2 boxes of hot chocolate

cream of wheat
mint baking chips
mini chocolate chips
pumpkin banana pancake mix
2 bread stick mix
1 container of olive oil
1/2 small container of veggie oil*
salt
baking powder*
brown sugar*
powdered sugar*
bread crumbs*
popcorn kernels*
pancake syrup*
tea bags*
4 lb spaghetti
some sugar*
egg noodles*
4 cans tomato soup
dry milk*
yeast*
2 boxes of stuffing mix
pancake mix
2 cans of cream of chicken
2 cans of mushroom soup 
1 can pork and beans
1 cans of kidney beans
flour*
ketchup
raspberry jam
4 jars of peanut butter*

ritz crackers*


Left overs:
chicken thighs
little bit of pork and beans

Fruit Bowl:
4 onions *
10  potatoes*
2 lbs celery*
5 lb carrots opened*

Open Condiments:
Ketchup*
mustard*
mayo*

Fridge Items:
3 lb margarine*
cream cheese*
Parmesan cheese *

block colby cheese*
cheddar cheese*

20 eggs

1/2 gallon of milk

1 salad dressing
one 24 ct sliced cheese

Freezer offerings:
1 whole turkey
tortilla shells
English muffins 
pork roast
5 boneless pork chops
1 lb ground turkey

3 colored peppers (red, yellow, orange)

spaghetti sauce


Frozen Veggies:

5 lb corn opened*
2.5 lb peas
2.5 lb broccoli
2.5 lb green beans
1 lb mixed veggies*

1 lb squash

Hidden Surprises:
3 containers of sliced/chopped ham
one container of beef veggie stock
one ham bone
3 quart mason jar of ham stock
4 containers of veggie sausage spaghetti sauce
four containers of chicken stock
roast/carrots/potatoes


Spices:
lots!!

No comments:

Post a Comment