Wednesday, January 15, 2014

January Low Spend, Pantry Challenge


We are a family of five, with my staff nurse position in ICU as the means of income. I support a family of five, one kid in community college, two teens in high school, a husband, three cats and a dog. 


I have a grocery budget of 300 dollars. I have 140 left for January.

We have been slowly using things up. The starred items are almost gone. We have come into a little expense. I filled four prescriptions for a guest at WATTS (my community service activity twice a week, was costly, but he needed them), and I have a roof repair that I'm waiting for an appointment. I can't imagine how much this is going to be. I called my home owners insurance and have a 1,000 deductible. Prior to 2006 and obtaining my nursing position, I used to have a problem with hoarding food. We were on food stamps and looking at losing our home. It took a lot of work on all parts to learn that we are making changes. I am beginning to get into panic mode thinking about the roof repairs. I tried to talk to my husband about it, but he doesn't understand that I tend to worry about things like that. On the other hand, I have received a statement from my 403 B retirement, and after 7 years, I've earned 24 thousand in it. I know it's not much, but it's the most I've ever had to my name for the future. I'm waiting out for tax time to boost up my savings account, and get some more cash paid into my Wells Fargo A obligation (my snowball step). I would like to drop a large amount to get the balance below 20K. 

Pantry:
2 loaves of bread

3 boxes of oatmeal

2 boxes of hot chocolate

cream of wheat
mint baking chips
mini chocolate chips
pumpkin banana pancake mix
2 bread stick mix
one box oatmeal
1 container of olive oil
1/2 small container of veggie oil*
salt
baking powder*
brown sugar*
powdered sugar*
bread crumbs*
popcorn kernels*
pancake syrup*
tea bags*
4 lb spaghetti
some sugar*
egg noodles*
4 cans tomato soup
dry milk*
yeast*
2 boxes of stuffing mix
pancake mix
2 cans of cream of chicken
2 cans of mushroom soup 
2 cans of pork and beans
1 cans of kidney beans
flour*
ketchup
raspberry jam
4 jars of peanut butter*

ritz crackers*


Left overs:
mixed veggies*

Fruit Bowl:
4 onions *
10  potatoes*
2 lbs celery*
5 lb carrots opened*

Open Condiments:
Ketchup*
mustard*
mayo*

Fridge Items:
3 lb margarine*
cream cheese*
Parmesan cheese *

2 lb block colby cheese*
1 lb cheddar cheese*

2 dozen eggs*

2 gallons of milk*

1 salad dressing
2 cases of Coke
one 24 ct sliced cheese

Freezer offerings:
1 whole turkey
one package chicken thighs
tortilla shells
English muffins 
pork roast
5 boneless pork chops
1 lb ground beef 85 %
1 lb ground turkey

3 lb hot dogs
2 lb various sausages

3 colored peppers (red, yellow, orange)

spaghetti sauce


Frozen Veggies:

5 lb corn opened*
2.5 lb peas
2.5 lb broccoli
2.5 lb green beans
1 lb mixed veggies*

1 lb squash

Hidden Surprises:
3 containers of sliced/chopped ham
one container of beef veggie stock
one ham bone
3 quart mason jar of ham stock
4 containers of veggie sausage spaghetti sauce
four containers of chicken stock
roast/carrots/potatoes

Spices:
lots!!

7 comments:

  1. You do amazing with your food budget! I can't even seem to get mine below $1000 (but that includes non-food misc stuff and pet food and supplies)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do struggle and this month is a struggle. I have to fight the urge to get some take out a lot. It's not in the budget, but some times, it's so easy when I'm tired and don't want to cook. What are you spending 1 thousand a month on, if you don't mind me asking? I shop at Aldi and Sharp Shopper. They are lower cost stores in the area. The higher cost stores I stay out of.

      Delete
  2. I kind of gave up trying to micromanage what exactly I spend it on. I try to use coupons as much as possible and shop sales. I feed 3 (sometimes 4, if my son is home) adults. About $200 of it is take out (1-2 times a week) and eating in a restaurant about once a month. $55 is my dh's shake mix from Visalus (he has for lunch every day), probably a $100 a month for pet food (2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 parakeets). I don't feed the dogs or indoor cat cheap food and one dog has allergies, so needs an expensive type of food. The balance is our food, shampoo, etc, and cleaning supplies. I really don't like to cook (and I'm tired!) so I probably only make dinners from scratch about 50% of the time. I shop Walmart, Target and another higher cost store, but only their sales and store coupons I can load to my store card. Plus my DH is a super picky eater and brand loyal, so that makes it harder to save. After almost 30 years, I've given up trying to change him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been with my husband almost 25 years. I get very tired of having to make sure that we are able to stretch things. I get moody and feel like I am being deprived when I am the only income in our home. I guess it comes with being the single provider of five, but gosh, it gets very dull and boring. I like to cook, but again, I get tired of eating my cooking. I would like for my husband to cook, and he does, but only on rare occasions. The kids cook once in a while, and it's a rare event. My old reliable is take out pizza (and my three kids can down at least three cheese pizzas between them) gets to be very expensive, unless we buy frozen from the grocery store. The from scratch pizza gets mixed reviews from the kids. Oh well. The coupons here in my town are only doubled at one grocery store, and the prices are outrageous! Sometimes life happens and things tend to go to the way side. My husband does complain sometimes about the grocery budget. He would love cokes, pizza, chips, snacks, etc all the time. When we do get that kind of stuff, it's gone. The kids will inhale like they have never seen it before.

      Delete
  3. My dh is a big snacker and is hooked on Mountain Dew. He's very brand picky about everything, down to what toilet paper he uses, so makes it really tough to switch brands when things are on sale. I found a great home made easy pizza recipe that everyone here LOVES, so much that we haven't gotten take out pizza or delivery in about a year. I've been lucky that my income has increased quite a bit in the past few years, along with adding the side job, that I haven't had to stress out so much about grocery shopping as I used to. I know we could save tons more if he would eat leftovers, but he just hates them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is your pizza recipe? I use a crust from All recipies.com and put it in my ABM, top it with what ever tomato sauce I have and cheese.

      Delete
  4. here is a link from my blog. If you click on the picture it takes you to the recipe link. The dough is so easy and good. I add mushrooms and olives, as we also like those.

    http://onefamilyoneincome.blogspot.com/2013/03/homemade-pizza.html

    ReplyDelete