Thursday, May 22, 2014

Using what we have....

when the budget is tight and bellies need good wholesome nourishing food.

We seem to eat the same things over and over. But we tend to like the same ol things too. I have one and a half cups of pinto/great northern beans in the pantry. I put them in some water to soak over night.

I have five large carrots (it's the end of a 5 lb bag I bought at Sharp Shopper a while back). They will be peeled in the AM, diced small, and put into the crock pot.

We have the last of some ham stock dated 12/2013, 3/ 2014, and 4/2014 that is thawing. It will be put into the crock pot in the AM, with a few cups of water, the carrots, and two different kinds of beans. I don't have any ham pieces left in the freezer, so we will do without.

I will add some basil, parsley, onion powder, pepper, and garlic powder. It will simmer all day (I have our second class tomorrow on team building for my new position that I've been at for 6 weeks) and we will eat bean soup when I get home.



2 comments:

  1. I love how you just always come up with great crockpot recipes using what you have on hand! And you always feed your family lots of fruits and veggies. You have inspired me to use my crockpot more often since I started reading your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well shucks....thanks!

      I do get some push back from the children about the fruits and veggies. They do like only certain ones, like corn, broccoli, green beans, and carrots. My middle DD is a work in progress, she will only eat corn and potatoes. I have hope for her, but it's a long road.

      Delete