Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Medications and Medicare Part D

My insurance coverage for prescriptions would not pay for the Viibryd I am taking without authorization from my previous insurance company, and my current new doctor. I had to get the new doc to fill out paperwork stating that I had failed two SSRI's before RX Plus would cover the medication I am currently taking. I finally was approved in November for a year through RX plus to get the viibryd through my prescription plan.

The retail cost for this medication is 251.00 a month for 30 tablets. I was getting this medication through good RX which is supposed to be a discount card that would help pay for medications. Well, my prescription come through the mail order today. I got a 90 day prescription for a total of 126.18 total and my prescription coverage plan paid 504.73 on their end.

I am totally amazed at how much medications cost for folks and what the hardship can be when there is not adequate funds or coverage to assist those who are having difficulties. I am thankful that my family has coverage and can get our medications.


I tried to cancel my husband's prescription coverage through CVS since he is on my health coverage and prescription coverage. I found out that the prescription coverage through CVS has premiums increasing. I called and was able to speak to one of the associates and they told me that this plan is coming from Medicare Part D and I would have to get approval through them to un enroll my husband from this prescription coverage. Medicare requires a hand written letter with specific information regarding medications, dosages, reasons for possible un enrollment, and costs of the prescription coverage and co payments for the mail order medications.

Medicare would have to give the final approval on whether he could be un enrolled. I am concerned if he was un enrolled and approved through Medicare, if needed, could we re enroll him.

Medicare Part D prescription coverage is 26.50 a month. The prescriptions being filled at CVS were an additional 10 to 20 dollars a month. He takes five maintenance medications for his schizophrenia. The mail order co payments were 10 to 20 dollars each for 90 day supplies.

I am looking at 126 a month for 30 day supplies for his meds or about 100 every 90 days. I could consider continuing the Medicare Part D and keep his prescriptions through my mail order coverage in the event that Medicare would not approve.

Does anyone have any information on Medicare Part D? I am going to have to review their website and see what information is out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment