Thursday, December 26, 2013

Christmas Aftermath

Well, honestly I am glad the holiday is over. I tend to find it a little overwhelming and stressful. The kitchen was cleaned up yesterday by the kids. I took care of placing leftovers to make sure everything got put away and not down the trash can.

We have a large container of mashed potatoes, and one cup of broccoli. We have no peas, apple pie, or rolls left.


The ham:
I took all the meat off the bones and placed the bone aside.
I have some large serving platter of sliced ham.
I have two bowls with about two cups each of sliced ham.
I have some serving snack plate with ham slices.
I took the stock that was in the crock pot and placed it in a 3 quart container, waiting for the fat to rise and harden. I'm going to take this off, and use the stock for soup in January.

The bone will be used in bean soup for flavoring. The large serving platter of ham will be used for picking at and left overs. The kids will enjoy this, as will my husband and I. I'm going to make breakfast for the five of us using some of the ham slices and eggs. The two bowls of ham will be placed in covered containers, labeled and placed in the freezer to put towards January meals. The two slices of ham that my daughter left in the fridge will be eaten today for sandwiches. The stock will be placed in the freezer today to be used towards a January soup. If there is any ham left over at the end of today from the large serving plate, it will be placed in the freezer.

I use a container in the fridge to keep solid grease from meat in. I don't want to place it in the trash (since I have three cats and a dog), and I don't want to place it in the disposal. When the container is full, I usually have my husband take it to the landfill when he takes the other trash and recycling out.

No comments:

Post a Comment