Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Remember that 6 lb bird from the other day???? Dinner for 11/06

I have a HUGE 2nd quart bowl of chicken, potato/carrot/onion that will be put into use as soup tomorrow. I will pick what bones out and place everything on top of the stove. I will make soup out of this, and serve with some rice (as in chicken and rice soup), since I don't have any egg noodles. This will be dinner on Tuesday, any left over will be placed in the freezer. Any left over rice will be placed on the menu for Thursday's meal.

The above was a previous posting from a few days ago. 

Dinner 11/06

What I did was strip all the bones out of the bowl of chicken/potato/carrot/onion left overs. I placed the chicken and veggies in the crock pot with poultry seasoning, some sage, thyme, more carrot, a bouillon cube, more celery, and a chopped up onion. I added two cups of water to this. It will cook all day and become a beautiful soup for dinner. I made sure to add all the gelatin "ick" that was on the chicken (it's the protein I'm after). 

The back bones, all skin, frame, and veggie peelings went into a pot on top of the stove, with the same sort of spices, and I added four cups of water. I'm hoping that this will simmer, and all the goodness will come out to make "stock" for the freezer. 

This is all from a 6 pound bird. One chicken dinner (for five), BBQ chicken (for five), chicken soup (for five), and now chicken stock (hopefully two quarts) for the freezer to feed the five of us. Pretty awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment