Sunday, August 11, 2013

Working night shift....

I love working night shift. What I don't care for are the hours between 4-615...AKA dinner time. I would like to say that in a perfect world, we eat dinner every night, a home cooked meal, when I have to work. I would like to say that I always pack my lunch (85-90 percent of the time I bring leftovers from dinner).  When I don't pack or there is not enough for leftovers, I tend to walk down to the cafeteria and use my badge swipe to get dinner.

If my husband has the desire (cough cough, gag, gag) to make dinner on the nights I work, that would be a bonus. Sometimes, my kids will make dinner, sometimes, we order out. It depends a lot on how HIS day is going. I am usually sleeping from 830-400 after a night shift. I tend to work my three nights a week in a row to get it over with.

Usually the first night I make dinner in the crock pot. The second night is IFFY, and the third needs to just go away. LOL. Sometimes, my husband will make enough dinner for the second shift and the leftovers are for the third night. I refuse to cook a meal when I have to work, and have four able bodies that can chip in when needed.

Since there's just enough chicken, steamed white rice, carrots/onion/celery for dinner tonight. I am packing my lunch. I brought some deli cheese ends, a few crackers, a yogurt, banana, and a peach. I also have Tylenol, ibuprofen, tea bags, and some hot chocolate in my lunch bag for those moments when nothing else helps.

Do you pack a lunch, if so, what do you like to bring.

Do you buy lunch, if so, what do you like?

Which is easier?? Honestly, there are times when buying is so much easier.

3 comments:

  1. My husband works the night shift. I usually pack him leftovers from dinner or a sandwich. Then he usually gets a piece of fruit, chips, and yogurt. He doesn't have a cafeteria so its either pack or order take out. I'm lucky in that I work only 3 minutes from home. So I run home at lunch and can heat up leftovers or make a salad or sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DebbieAugust 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM
      Pretty cool that you like so close. I can't leave the hospital to go home for lunch (despite being 15 minutes away in traffic). I do pack lunch and usually take left overs, or lurking items in the fridge. I know a lot of folks at work go to the cafeteria or walk down to Subway for sandwiches. I like Subway, but I don't care for sandwiches on a regular basis. All though a good peanut butter and strawberry jelly sandwich sounds good right now.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete