Sunday, September 3, 2017

This weekend

A couple of weeks ago I bought two packages of marked down pork for 3.67 total and both packages had a dollar off coupon in addition on it. I didn't look closely at the packages when I bought them. I took them out of the freezer on Friday and it said "pork fat". 

Well, I let the two packages thaw in the fridge. When they were thawed I trimmed off all the pork fat and found that there was a medium mixing bowl of lean pork that we could cook for meals. I had some Aldi marinade in the pantry and used some of this to tenderize the meat and provide some flavor. The pork sat in the marinade for 24 hours in the fridge. 

I baked the marinated pork this afternoon at 325 in the oven. I took some frozen corn out of the freezer and put two teaspoons of butter in a pan and simmered both the corn and butter. I had bulk white rice in the pantry. I had some scratch chicken stock in the fridge that needs to go. I used 1 and 1/2 cups of chicken stock and 1/2 cup of water in the steamer and added one cup of long grain rice to steam. 

Dinner was amazing. I have a bit of rice left over. We have a small bowl of pork and corn left for tomorrow to have for lunch. I was considering making a fried rice for lunch using tonight's left overs. I have never made it before and found an easy recipe online. I will attempt to make this tomorrow. 

Last night we had pancakes and smoked cracked pepper bacon for dinner. The pancakes came from a mix that my husband bought prior to my arrival in Florida. The box is almost empty. The plan is to finish using this up during the week. The cracked pepper bacon was from the grocery package that my mother in law sent a couple of weeks ago. It was a 12 ounce package. I cut the strips in half and baked them in the oven. We have five strips left and those are in the fridge to incorporate into meals this week. 

I saved the bacon fat to use to fry eggs and potatoes this week. I am trying to be more frugal and save some money at the grocery store. 

Things that need to be used this week:
left over marinated pork
left over rice
left over buttered corn
5 strips of bacon
corn bread


No comments:

Post a Comment