Saturday, September 16, 2017

Old Jugs

Milk Jugs.
Juice jugs.
Water Bottles.
Any reasonable size jug.

Do you keep them? Put them in the recycling bucket? Throw them in the trash? I used to put them in the recycling bucket and still do at times.

I have been cleaning them out and rinsing with hot water after use. When we found out that we were heading for a hurricane I actually put tap water in the jugs. I filled a couple of them about 3/4 full with tap water and put them in the freezer. The thought was that if we lost power we could keep our food cold and prevent the loss from spoiled food.

As I keep thinking about this I thought that it would be great to boil the water and put the boiled water in jugs to have in an emergency. I have two in the freezer right now. I have one in the fridge full of "sweet tea" and another that is thawing. We will have cold water to drink and it will help keep other foods cold. It will prevent the refrigerator from having to work as hard. (I think I read that in the tightwad gazette a couple years ago).

My husband told me that he thought I was weird for using the older jugs. He didn't say much to me about it other than he thought it was weird. Oh well. He doesn't complain when he has cold water to drink or tea with ice.

Does anyone else reuse the jugs? If so, what do you do with them?

4 comments:

  1. I don't have a need to reuse jugs as I have an instant on, propane generator should we lose power. I've lived several stints of 2 week long lapses in electric and have the Girl scout skills to hunker down in place. I've kept water in glass but not plastic jugs. Yes, if the freezer isn't full to the brim, and a power outage is expected, freeze blocks of ice to keep things frozen, keep the door SHUT.In other homes w/o the generator I have here, we kept gallons of sealed water on hand, just in case. I prefer not to drink water out of plastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very understandable. At this time, we have the plastic jugs and no glass containers.

      Delete
  2. I keep plastic jugs around, just a few to have water to flush commode and wash hands if I have no water. However, I just put many in recycling. And, what do you know? I have a leak in the water line in the house and only had a two-year-old just of water. So, I had to buy drinking water. I will use those jugs to fill at the neighbor's hose to flush the commode, water for heating and washing dishes and flushing. I do keep jugs from ALL used in washer for filling with water to flush.

    There must be 100 vinegar jugs in the flooded basement! Plus, there is a pack of 24 water bottles in the trunk of the car.

    ReplyDelete