Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Using things up...

The BLTS and potato salad were a hit. I had a few slices of tomato left over, along with one soft whole tomato. We have some left over 1/2 cup of taco meat in the fridge from Friday that needs to be used. We have half of a yellow, red, orange pepper that my DH bought for chili (we have frozen in the freezer)...

I cut up the sliced tomato and the soft whole tomato. I chopped up the three half peppers. I put those in the crock pot with the 1/2 cup of taco meat. I added the last 1/8 cup of parmesan cheese (the container went into the recycling). I opened two 8 ounce cans of tomato sauce, along with one can of diced tomato and it went into the crock pot. I added two good size onions thin sliced, and three cloves of garlic to the crock pot. I will add some basil soon. I had a can of Aldi chopped mushrooms that went into the crock pot.

It will simmer all day and become spaghetti sauce. We have some elbow pasta I bought from Dollar Tree a while ago that we can use. I will cook about three cups of pasta at some point this afternoon.

My kids didn't want the onion rolls with their BLT's last night. I am going to use them for garlic bread. I will slice them, add some real butter, chopped up garlic (I have a few cloves left), and parsley and spread it over the rolls. They will make in the oven until slightly browned.


What we are using up that was lurking in the fridge:
1/8 cup of taco meat
one soft tomato
left over tomato slices
two onions
three cloves of garlic
parmesean cheese
three halves of various peppers
onion rolls

Pantry items:
elbow pasta
1 can of diced tomato
1 can of mushroom pieces
two small cans of tomato sauce

2 comments:

  1. You are so good at using up leftovers, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Sometimes it's a hit or miss kind of deal. It also depends on what is hanging out as leftovers too.

    ReplyDelete