Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Planning ahead, using things up.

It's watch the budget and see what happens mode. This week's theme is use it up. We have been working on that using what's been lurking around and making the best meals possible.

We have a whole chicken that my husband cooked last week. I just picked two cups of meat off the frame and put the frame in the crock pot. We have a few sickly looking carrots that were peeled, cut up, and put into the crock pot. I chopped up half a white onion and put it in the crock pot. I added several cups of water, 2 bouillon cubes, chicken grinder spices from Aldi, parsley, pepper, garlic powder, and poultry seasoning.

Later today, I will pick out the carcass, boil some elbow pasta (using it up, it's the only pasta we have, about a cup left), and serve it as chicken soup.

We have leftover bean soup and spaghetti sauce that we've made lately that has been put in the freezer for times that are a little bit more difficult.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great plan. I also turn to elbow macaroni when the "soup pasta" cuts are gone. Broken up fettucini/spaghetti also works well. Luckily, it's been cool and dry up here in CT, I made a chicken vegetable soup for lunch yesterday, planned overs will be served again today. Love what I call "frozen assets"-meals in the freezer at the ready. Good planning

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been cooler the past couple of days in VA too. We have the windows open and have shut off the AC. We went out last night for a 45 minute walk and almost needed s long sleeve shirt or a sweater. I'm loving it. It helps to use things that need to go, instead of making a new meal. It's easier for me to plan appropriately and make sure my budget stays intact. All three kids love chicken noodle soup, and so does my DH. It's a win win situation here.

    ReplyDelete