Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Things begin to run out...

I have some pantry/freezer/HBA/pet needs/cleaning items that are beginning to run low or out. I hate when this happens, since I only shop when I get paid, and/or when I tend to get worried about getting to a low point. 

We are out of things we would consider staples. I get paid tomorrow. I have a stack of bills that are due to be paid, and am currently waiting for my bank account to clear one last 300 dollar bill from two weeks ago. 

My DD (17 years old) bought a damn adult cat. Our Cecelia ran off about three months ago and never made it back home. She hid the carrier he was brought home in her room. She brought him down stairs to me on Monday evening. We had a long talk about why we don't keep secrets. My DH allowed her to buy the cat with some money she earned (we all ready have one, didn't need a second right now). He has a vet appointment tomorrow for a "well check up and vaccinations". The animal shelter signed paperwork stating that he had previously been neutered (a bonus right now, one less expense). 

Summer vacation is a good time for us. School is out (less stress), working overtime is done until August (I am thankful), and the kids are in good moods. 

August is going to bring four new eye exams and glasses. My DH had an eye exam earlier this year (MAY 2014) and has his new glasses. It's been two years for the rest of us. My oldest DD and son will need new frames and lenses (theirs are totally shot, thin metal frames that have lasted for more than four years). My DD and I will just need new lenses since our frames are plastic and only two years old. 

My insurance will pay for 60 percent of the eye exam. They will only cover 40 percent of the lenses and frames. With four of us needing new glasses/frames/lenses it's going to be a rough month. I need to plan appropriately to make sure this expense is covered. 

The joys of one income. I hope I don't have to resort to working overtime this month. I was looking forward to hanging out with the kids. 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie,

    Just catching up on my blog reading and stumbled on your blog. I'm adding it to my blogroll. ;)!

    One income is tough in today's economy. I used to think babies cost a lot of money, but the big bucks are spent on teenagers. And aren't glasses expensive?? We all wear contacts and glasses, and when we didn't have eye insurance, it cost us $1,000's of dollars. 60% is a nice plan, hopefully it won't be too expensive.

    It sounds like you are working hard and making it work, although it's tough living from paycheck to paycheck. I look forward to following you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teenagers are expensive. My teens are pretty good about watching what they ask for. My oldest has a job, so she will take care of her "wants" and I will pay for her medical needs, sneakers, keep food in her belly, and a home to live in. My other two do not have jobs yet. It's soon to be coming. My DH doesn't work. The glasses are a work in progress. We start in August, and hope to get the two that are in school taken care of first (One needs new frames and lenses, the other needs lenses). Then my oldest will need new frames and lenses. I will only need the lenses, since my frames are only two years old. It is hard work sometimes, but I have a fully funded emergency fund, and working on finishing up paying an old mistake (Equity line and student loan), and working on a 3-6 month living expenses. I follow Dave Ramsey and his program changed my life.

    ReplyDelete