Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Budgets

We were talking at work the other night about overtime. I was asked two pick up two extra shifts this week from my co workers. I decided this month that I wasn't going to sign up for OT and my response was "I will just watch my budget carefully".

We got on the topic of budgets. Someone asked me what my husband does for a living, since I didn't pick up any overtime for the month of July. My response "He doesn't work. He stays home with the children". This RN looked at me and said, "You allow that". This RN asked me "How much do you spend on groceries to feed five people? I can't manage to take care of my family (RN has five children, spouse stays home) with out working four or five OT shifts in a pay period".

I told the RN that I only spend 300 dollars a month on groceries.

Well when it comes down to it, it's a matter of what's important to me I guess. Everyone has their own thoughts on how to live. My husband and I had lots of credit card debt years ago. It's taken us a long time to find out that this was not in our best interest. We worked hard to pay them off. We had a lot of rough years when the kids were younger. We made tons of mistakes financially.

We filed for bankruptcy in our early years. We lived with his brother for two years. We were not able to support ourselves for a long time. We were on food stamps and receiving government assistance for the kids medicaid. I wasn't working. My husband made 12 dollars an hour in a factory.

We bought a town house in 2002. We were working on changing our lives. My husband got sick and lost his job in 2004. We were using unemployment. My husband got hospitalized for his mental illness. I was at home with three young children. I had no skills and the bills needed to be paid.

I went to college and got an education in 2006. We have paid off all the credit card debt and my Dh medical bills (large amounts owed folks). We found Dave Ramsey. I had to get a new car in 2008. I paid off the car in 4 and a half years.

I have a savings account now with some cash in it. We owe on my student loan (I pay faithfully 200 every two weeks), our mortgage, and an old equity line (I snowball payment 600 dollars a month, and then the minimum payments).

We are not in a lot of debt. We have only three debts left to pay. Our financial background has improved so much. I work to support my family and our lifestyle.

We live within our means. We shop at Aldi, Dollar Tree, and Sharp Shopper. We don't do the mainstream stores. We are folks who can find pleasure in being at home. We don't spend lots of money on "stuff".

I get a little defensive of our lifestyle. I've met folks who disapprove of my lifestyle. I get told, "You do all that stuff and work so hard". It's more work and less time at home when you pick up lots of overtime.

I don't know. I like my lifestyle and enjoy being at home. My plan is to continue the route and follow Dave Ramsey's advice. It's worked for my family. I have a growing savings account, 403 B, my home, and happy children.

I did not sign up for any overtime for July. I have one shift of overtime for August.



6 comments:

  1. Well done! Your priorities match your values. I admire that and I enjoy your blog. Thanks for posting and inspiring me to do better as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Summer, you should enjoy your time off and not pick up over time if you don't want too. I personally wouldn't mind working some over time if I was able too but I'm on salary. I do pick up extra projects but those only make me extra money if they do well. If they don't, then I just wasted the time on them and won't see any extra money for them. But the extra money I would earn would go towards savings and vacations. I love to travel and would definitely work a little more if it meant I could travel more. I just wish Mr. R would see it that way. He definitely doesn't like picking up any extra over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband likes to travel. I don't really care for it. I like being home. I did just put 350 dollars in my savings last pay period.

      Delete
  3. You have your priorities in the right order. Yes, we could take more overtime and pay off your debt quicker but this time that you would be missing with your family is irreplaceable no matter how big your paycheck is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind working overtime. I work a lot of it when school starts. I want to be with my family when they are off.

      Delete