Monday, July 22, 2013

College expenses...

My daughter will be starting at the local community college in August. I am paying for her tuition (she is going to have 8 credits, 950 dollars total), and will be renting her textbooks. I'm not usually this worried about finances, but I am stretching my own limits with paying for her to attend classes. She has a part time job at McDonald's, and will be responsible for paying for gas, wear and tear on a vehicle, and any of her supplies. She does NOT have her driver's license yet. We will be taking her back and forth, unless she can pick a ride with a fellow class mate. She will be attending two afternoons a week, Monday's from 1-4, and WEdnesday's from 11-4:00.

I am worried about the financial aspects of college. I filled out her FASFA and were turned down due to the amount of money I make. I could just pull the cash from my savings account to pay for this semester, but I wouldn't sleep well knowing that my cushion of 1650.00 was gone.

Any thoughts??  She is not responsible enough to accept a student loan. I still am paying on my student loan for nursing school (being 7 years out now). I don't want to have another loan hanging around.

2 comments:

  1. My daughter will also be attending the local community college. She also works at McDonalds. We are splitting the cost of tuition. She is taking 14 credit hours, which is actually only 4 classes. Like you we can get no assistance other then loans. We both saved from the first of the year knowing what her approximate tuition would be. Since the first semester is already paid, we are now saving for what will be in June. I am hoping she will make it threw community college at least debt free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a payment plan with the college and will be making four payments of 236 each. I've made two payments so far. She will have three classes, and needs four books. I'm hoping that she will be able to help with the book fees...we are discussing renting books, verses buying them for one semester. I would like her to get out of college debt free too.

    ReplyDelete