Thursday, December 21, 2017

Finally moved in!

We are finally moved into our retirement home! We are in the middle of unpacking and have limited furniture so we still have boxes in most of the rooms. The living room is finished and most of the kitchen is done unpacking.

We are finished with the rental home and are expecting a full security deposit to be mailed to us per the property manager text message last night. I am blessed to be able to get this money back and put it into the savings account. We have spent a lot of the savings at closing and then the penalty fee for breaking the lease. We had 31 thousand in the savings and closing was almost 21 thousand. It left us with 11 thousand and now eight and a half due to the penalty fee taken out as a bank check yesterday. I will be happy to have the additional 1,500 to put back into the account.

We are using this money as an emergency fund. It is in my name only as my husband as a spending issue (we have separate accounts and have for years). This will prevent any issues with spending as I don't take money to careless spend on impulse buys.

I went online at work and requested that 75.00 dollars of my pay each pay period go into the savings. I get paid every other week and this will help build up the savings in addition to promote an increase, even if it is a slow increase, in the balance every month.

I have been contributing to the retirement plan at work now. It is a 403 B and I put in 4 percent with a matching 4 percent from my employer. I still have my retirement funds at my old employer which I have to get put into my new retirement plan.

So far, we are doing well and hope to have a new budget in place for January once the finances settle from the closing. Our first mortgage payment is not due until February and I will be staying one month ahead at all times. I would like to break the payment into every two weeks instead of monthly depending on how the budget works out.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It is good you protect what you have from the husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, it is "our money" and not "my money" since we both owned our previous house together. We both agreed to have it in my savings account and he did state that he has problems with impulses and recklessly would use the money. This is best for the family and it will protect us in cases of an emergency.

      Delete