Sunday, December 24, 2017

Christmas Blessings

I was reading online yesterday about a family in this area that was having hard times. The post stated that they were having financial problems before Hurricaine Irma (in September) and this continued for the next few months. They stated that the daughter was recently found to be pregnant and the only income was from the elderly grandmother (which I guess would be either social security or some kind of pension). They stated that they were not able to have Christmas dinner due to limited resources.

Well, I talked to my husband yesterday and we decided to give this family a Christmas blessing. I packed up a few bags of groceries from the kitchen. I gave them a dozen eggs, one whole chicken, a large pork roast, a loaf of bread, a unopened jar of peanut butter, several cans of tuna fish, several cans of various soups (chicken noodle and tomato), some boxed crackers, one pound bag of rice, one large onion, three bags of frozen vegetables, and several large potatoes (maybe three pounds I guess). We asked them for an address and rode about 30 minutes to their house and dropped off the groceries.

I didn't ask them any questions about their situation because honestly it is not any of my business. I felt that we are blessed to be in our home, after deciding to move and sell our house, starting a new job, and having an intact savings account. I felt that it would be nice to help another family who is struggling to have several meals for the next week or two. If they can stretch the whole chicken and the pork roast for several meals they may have enough to get by and ease some hardship for a week or maybe two.

My husband didn't say much about what I was giving them. He did ask me why I wanted to do it. I told him that we are blessed to be in a good area and have a better life than years ago. I told him that Christmas was about helping others in their time of need. He drove with me and my son helped me unload the groceries and deliver them. It was a great adventure yesterday afternoon.

I took the delivered groceries out of our kitchen pantry and didn't think twice about donating them to the family in need.

1 comment: