Sunday, December 24, 2017

Christmas plans

We are supposed to go to our cousin's house for Christmas Eve and apparently for Christmas Day. I miss understood and thought we are only going to go for Christmas Eve. Well, when my husband's cousin contacted me yesterday she mentioned that she was going to cook a full Christmas dinner. I reminder her that it was supposed to be Christmas Eve for appetizers and exchanging secret Santa stockings. I was wrong. It is for both days.

I talked to my husband about the mistake. I asked him if he would be upset if we choose to stay home on Christmas. He agreed that we could stay home since I was off work and my daughters were off work. I mentioned this to our cousin and she was a bit taken back but stated that her husband would be thrilled to watch football and yell at the telelvision all afternoon. I invited them over for Christmas dinner. I honestly did not want to go both eve and day to spend hours over there.

Christmas Eve appetizers: The cousins dropped off a package of chicken wings and asked me to cook them. I offered to help prepare some snacks and they accepted my offer. They even bought the chicken wings (I didn't ask them too). They are going to make several dips, have veggies, fruit, and fudge. I am going to cook the wings, bring chips, a few bottles of soda, and make some lemon bars from a mix I have in the pantry. There are going to be nine of us total.

Christmas Day: I have a turkey thawed in the fridge for Christmas dinner. It is about 20 pounds. We will have turkey coming out of our ears by the time we are done with it. I am going to bake it in the oven. We will have sausage, sage, apple stuffing (I make my own with bread cubes, chicken stock, onion, celery, some spices, garlic, Italian sausage and two chopped up apples). We are also going to have some mashed potatoes, green beans, and maybe some broccoli. We do not have any dessert unless our secret santa stockings have chocolate in them.

After our turkey dinner, the turkey will be sliced and cut for future dinners. We will have enough turkey for sandwiches (my husband loves left over turkey sandwiches), future meals, and we will put the frame and bones in the crock pot for soup stock.



1 comment:

  1. I agree-I wouldn't want to spend my entire Xmas weekend at someone else's home. Xmas eve apps and exchange-fine, just wouldn't want to return the next day as well. Glad this worked out in your favor

    ReplyDelete