Monday, November 27, 2017

What's been cooking?

We had our usual Sunday dinner with my husband's cousins. I ended up making angel hair pasta with homemade meatballs and a meat sauce for those who do not eat meatballs. I have really known a family with kids who are so very picky since my kids are pretty much easy going about what they are eating.

Sunday breakfast: My kids had cereal and milk. We still have honey nut Cheerios left (Publix, my MIL bought). My husband had some toast with peanut butter. My husband's friend was given a ham and cheese breakfast sandwich that I made and heated up for him. He did ask for a second one and I was thrilled as we have a lot of ham still.

Sunday dinner: I made angel hair pasta with two jars of spaghetti sauce. I made 16 small meatballs with a pound of 85 percent lean ground beef and used some left over homemade bread that I had in the freezer as breadcrumbs. I added three cloves of garlic to the ground beef, some spices, and two eggs. The meat sauce was strictly another pound of 85 percent lean ground beef and the second jar of spaghetti sauce. We have quite a bit of spaghetti with meatballs and meat sauce left over for lunches today. My husband's cousins brought bagged salad over and two loaves of Chigaco Italian Bread which is great and makes wonderful toast. We had three kinds of salad dressing in the fridge to offer with the salad. We did not have any dessert with our family dinner.

The cousins are very picky and sometimes Sunday dinner is quite frustrating. Their kids are very hard to prepare meals for as they only eat certain things and at times we don't have the foods that they like. The kids usually will come over with something all ready made from the grocery store which is fine I guess. My kids eat what ever is served to them most of the time or they can fix something themselves.

Monday breakfast: I toasted some of the Chicago Italian Bread for breakfast. It makes amazing toast and it is thin sliced. I did put real butter on my toast with two cups of decaf tea. I have been reusing my decaf tea bags for the second cup of tea without any problems.

Monday lunch: We are pushing ham sandwiches today. What ever sliced ham is left over this afternoon will be put into the freezer for another meal. We served a ham dinner for our second thanksgiving meal this past week with our husband's friend that visited for the week. We got him to Orlando International Airport yesterday and he left for Virginia. He was back in Winchester and at home by 6 pm.

Tonight's dinner: I had some left over turkey in the freezer from our Thanksgiving with my husband's mother. I thawed it last night and put it in a casserole dish with the last of the jarred gravy we had. I added some frozen green beans to it and put it in the fridge. I will heat this up in the oven and steam some rice to serve with it for dinner tonight. We still have left over salad from yesterday that will be served with our dinner tonight.


4 comments:

  1. What about breakfast for dinner using the ham or even a quiche? Carol at CT. on a budget has a recipe on her blog. I even make small ones in a muffin tin without a crust using small diced ham, onions and peppers. I wouldn't worry about the cousin's children being picky. They can eat what you have or bring their own. As a parent, I would be appalled if my kids were so picky at someone's home. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never made a quiche. My kids and even my husband would enjoy this as a meal. Thank you for the great idea.

      The cousin's children do bring their own stuff. When we have dinner at my house (every other Sunday) they usually bring something for themselves. It just gets frustrating when I have to prepare two different kinds of something as we do not have the funds available that my husband's cousins do.

      Delete
  2. I cannot believe you had to make two spaghetti choices. What's so bad about meatballs? I never make meatballs, but I never fail to eat them when offered. I would never make two meals. When my grandchildren were here a few years ago, I served things to give them choices--ham, cheese, tomato, lettuce, bread, and other stuff. I figured they should find something they liked. Yes, they did not like some of it, but it was the only meal they were eating at my house, so they did not starve. Rather than cook two spaghetti meals, I would set out the peanut butter jar, the jelly jar, a loaf of bread and knives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE usually do have peanut butter, jelly, and bread. It can be frustrating every other Sunday. We alternate homes on Sundays and I really enjoy that. They often will eat at their own house (these are not young children, they are teen boys 17 and 19). Their family goes out often for dinner and that could be part of it. I am not sure. When we go to their home for Sunday dinner there is less stress for me. My kids are told to pick something served and they are expected to eat. There are times that my girls will have a second helping since their meals are so large. There's enough food served to feed a large group and there are only nine total for Sunday dinner. My son has the option of peanut butter and jelly when he goes over there and most of the time he will eat what is being served and ask for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich after.

      Delete