Friday, November 24, 2017

What's been happening?

My husband's mother came last week to spend a few days with us. She flew and arrived on Tuesday evening and left us on Saturday morning arriving back in Providence in the early afternoon. We had a lot of fun with her and we were able to spend a couple meals with her while she was in town.

We went out to eat several times with her and had a blast. One lunch we were out and were able to sit outside by the lake to enjoy each other's company. The weather was wonderful and she commented that she didn't see us often when we were living in Virginia, but now that we are living in Florida she stated that she would come more often to enjoy the weather. My husband was so happy to have his mother with him for a few days. My mother in law enjoyed the rental house and she thought it was beautiful. We were able to show her the unfinished new house that will be completed in December. We talked to the building office and requested the key to the house so that she could see the lay out of the rooms. We actually had dry wall put up! It is exciting! We took her to one of the finished homes on the same street that was the exact model of ours. She loved the finished home and was so excited. She feels that we made an appropriate decision in deciding to buy a newly constructed house.

She took us to Publix last week and asked me to get some groceries. We were in Orlando at that time and she would not take no for an answer. She stated to me that she knows how it is to live on a limited budget with five people and did not want to add to stress. I asked her to go to Aldi but there was not an Aldi in Orlando that I knew of. She filled the freezer, the fridge, pantry, and even bought some dog food for our beloved beagle Jackson.

Meals: We went out most of the time and she refused to let me pay for meals. I did however, get to pay for the Thanksgiving meal we had since I bought everything before she got here. We celebrated last Thursday and had our cousins over at the same time. We fed eleven people with a turkey meal and had a lot left over. We made turkey soup also and I have turkey stock in the freezer now.

We had a second Thanksgiving yesterday with the family and a friend of my husband's. I cooked an 8 pound ham and we have a lot of left over ham for sandwiches which is really nice. We served a potato salad, pasta salad, corn, peas, baked beans, and of course, the ham. It was a very non traditional meal for Thanksgiving, but we did not want another turkey, and mother in law did pay for the ham when we went shopping.

Other than being at home, going to work, and taking care of the family, I have not been doing much. I am hoping to work some more on my blog this weekend. I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the time with their families.

2 comments:

  1. That was very nice of your mother-in-law. The cost of food just keeps going up and up. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does continue to rise. It can be difficult to shop. I get paid every two weeks and there are many pay periods where I am not going into the stores as the bills get paid first. I took a four dollar pay cut once we moved to Florida and started my new job. The rental home is a bit expensive and the cost of living is higher than in Virginia. We are still trying to work the new budget and some pay periods are better than others. The bills are always paid first and foremost.

      Delete