Tuesday, November 14, 2017

What's been cooking?

Sunday I boiled eight eggs for the kids to snack on. Even when the kids were little they enjoyed hard boiled eggs as a snack or served for lunch as egg salad. They will eat egg salad on bread, in a bowl, or with a few crackers. They like them plain also and prefer them with no salt or pepper added. My son is not really an egg salad kind of kid, but he will eat a small portion of hard boiled egg if it is cut on a plate for him.

Sunday dinner was at our house. Our cousins did not come on Sunday because they enjoy football in the afternoons and dinner disrupts it. LOL. We are not a foot ball family, so we are OK with that and we are able to plan family dinners together on different days, but I work and my girls are working part time, so it is hit or miss on who will be around during the week or the weekend evenings.

My husband's cousins and their kids are not employed. He is retired from an air traffic control position and she stays home.

Sunday dinner for the five of us included some marked down chicken tenderloin that I found at Winn Dixie this past week. The package was very small and had seven strips in it. I marinaded the chicken in Aldi garlic and herb mixture and let it sit in the fridge for about 6 hours. I added some breadcrumbs to the chicken and put it in the oven. We had some buttered green beans, brussel sprouts, and steamed rice with the chicken. There was not enough chicken for the five of us. I have each of the kids two chicken strips and the last one went to my husband. I had some rice and a lot of veggies. There were no left overs for this meal to have on Monday.

My girls ordered some Chinese food last Friday while I was at work. I found the left over chicken and veggies in the fridge. They were in some brown sauce. Monday lunch consisted of some more steamed rice and I mixed in the chicken, veggies, and the brown sauce. It made lunches for my husband and myself. My oldest and middle daughter requested egg salad. My son made a few peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on whole wheat bread.

Our cousins called yesterday and wanted to know if we would come over last night for dinner. They had chicken breast in the crock pot, with mashed potatoes, some rice, and steamed brocolli. My oldest was with us and she had two servings, my middle DD was at work, so she was given a plate to go to have when she got home. My son decided not to cooperate with what was served, so his cousin (they are the same age) decided to heat up some hot dogs for himself and Kevin.

My husband and I had a dinner plate. I had ice water to drink and my kids along with my husband had soda that his family provided. Overall, it was a fun evening.

My mother in law and a friend of hers is coming to visit from Rhode Island today and staying until Saturday in Orlando. They want to come visit us (we are about 70 minutes from Orlando) and mentioned that they wanted to go out for dinner tonight. I can tell you that funds are tight here because I am trying to keep everything in the bank until after the house closes on December 8th. I talked to my husband about this and he stated that his mother wanted to treat the five of us. I am going to look over the budget in a little bit. We are not expecting her until after 4 pm. We are having thanksgiving with her on Thursday. I have a 14 pound turkey thawed in the fridge. I am also working Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday night. She's a registered nurse too and is still working at 75 years old part time. She says she likes to travel and enjoy life so she continues to work.

I had some frozen left over roast with gravy in the freezer. It is a very small portion. I decided to make a small vegetable beef soup for lunch for the five of us. The roast was cut into very small pieces and put into the crock pot. My husband bought some frozen "Vegetable soup mix" prior to when I arrived at the rental in August and I found it in the freezer. I assumed he bought it as I don't remember buying it. It has green beans, celery, onion, potato, tomato, lima beans, and okra in it. I took all the okra out of the package and added everything else to the crock pot. I had a package of onion soup mix from Aldi that I added to the crock pot with some water. This will be lunch for today and I will take it to work with me this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment