Sunday, November 5, 2017

The budget


I got paid on Friday and made half a rent payment for December. I was able to put some money towards my student loan (I have made two payments this within the past four weeks) and this is in a grace period until February since I graduated in August with my MSN. I did put 200 dollars into the savings and went to the grocery store. I found four packages of marked down meat at Winn Dixie and was able to buy those for the freezer. I bought our Thanksgiving turkey at 0.79 cents a pound and it is 14 pounds. We love turkey and will really enjoy this as it will make several meals.

I am waiting for the utility bills to come in so that they can be paid. I did get the water bill and this has remained the same since we arrived in Florida and living in the rental. The amount doesn't vary much but it is within a dollar each month give or take. This month the water bill was 146 dollars.

Last month's electric bill was outrageous. I almost cried when I opened it. The total cost for 31 days was 338 dollars. We found out that the central air conditioning was set at 72 as "scheduled" and I am not sure, but I think I was the one that changed the temp as a mistake. My husband was able to look at the thermostat and was able to turn off the air conditioning and turn it back on. He was able to set the air conditioning at 78 and put it on a "hold" status so the setting would not fluctuate. The electric bill was paid in full last month and did put a bit of a strain on the budget. We did have the air conditioning off for a few days last week since the temperature was in the mid to upper 70's.


4 comments:

  1. I've never had a water bill, I was either in a rental with that included or a home (including rentals)with a well. My forever home has a well. $146/mo is a car payment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we were living in Virginia the water/sewer bill would come every other month. This bill would include household water and sewer and would generally be close to 90 to 100 dollars every other month. We did not pay for trash pick up as we transported our own to the recycling center and landfill.

      The rental home does not include the water/sewer/trash pick up costs. The water includes household use, and reclaimed water that is mandated by the owner and city to maintain "the yard". The bill also includes a maintenance fee for twice a week trash pick up, once a week recycling pick up, and any bulk items that are put out on Mondays.

      Sometimes costs of utilities are different in each area of the country. Most of our family live in New England, Rhode Island, and we used too. We are very familiar with the costs of heating oil and the taxation that occurs in that area.

      Folks do the best that they can with what they have. We don't have a car payment as our vehicles have been paid off. I drive a 2008 KIA and my husband drives a 2001 PT cruiser. I do understand your reference about the amount being a car payment though.

      Delete
  2. Wow that was some electric bill, I would have cried too. We live in a ranch-style home and our bill is much lower but our weather is never as hot as you get. You'll get the hang of it. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thankful that it was able to b paid in full. I am hoping this month's bill will be closer to our new normal amount.

      Delete