Tuesday, November 7, 2017

My middle daughter

I worked Sunday night and my daughter sent me a text message telling me that she was not feeling good. I asked her what was bothering her and she told me that she had a very bad stomach ache.

Well, I took her to Urgent care yesterday morning when I got home for unrelenting abdominal pain. Urgent care ran some tests and immediately sent us to the emergency room for further evaluation. My daughter is a trooper and I was a hot mess. My nurse brain left me and I became the worried mother at the bedside of a sick adult kid.

She was given some IV fluids, pain meds, nausea meds, and they did some blood work. They did a lot of blood work actually. They did an ultrasound of her liver, gall bladder, pancreas, spleen, both kidneys, aorta, superior and inferior vena-cava, and then did a CT scan for further evaluation.

Urgent care stated that my daughter had gall stones. Finally after 8 hours in the emergency room we found out that she has several kidney stones, bilateral lung atelactasis, a lesion on her pelvis, and a raging urine infection, and hydronephrosis related to the kidney stones.

They gave her several scripts for pain medicine, nausea medicine, and flomax to dilate her renal system in hopes that she can pass the stones. The stones are 0.6 mm by 0.5 mm in the right kidney. We were also given a referral to see a urologist that accepts our new insurance plan. I will make sure that she gets her prescriptions filled and the call is made for the urologist consult when I get home from a work meeting 8 until noon.


6 comments:

  1. I've had both kidney stone and kidney infection (both related to pregnancy). Note that I have a documented high pain tolerance. When something hurts, it's bad. Pain is up there with unmedicated labor. I feel for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. She is feeling so much better as the week progresses.

      Delete
  2. First I hope she feels better soon. When she gets sick, she really gets sick. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very scared when we were told to go to the ER. I should really know better being a health care provider, but my professional nursing brain decided to take a vacation, and mom brain took over. She is feeling better.

      Delete
  3. Did any of these conditions cause the other? I read about the lung thing and it sounds serious. With all that, no wonder she felt so bad. What about the lesion on pelvis? I hope she gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kidney stones caused the UTI, and the urologist said on Thursday that since we pushed her to drink so much water, she was able to flush out the urine infection. The atelactasis on her lungs is a different story. The only thing I can really say is that she never complained of being short of breath, or not getting enough air flow, or any discomfort with breathing. I am wondering if she picked up something heavy at her job? We are hoping that it will resolve spontaneously.

      She has an ultrasound in a week and a half. I am hoping to hear more about the kidney stones and the lesion on her pelvis then.

      Delete