Tuesday, October 7, 2014

What's been cooking???

My Dh bought some ground beef and a whole chicken he found on mark down the other night.

He made sloppy joes on Sunday with onion rings for the five of us for dinner. I had to work and I appreciate his efforts!!

On Monday I put the whole chicken in the oven with some thyme, sage, poultry seasoning, garlic, pepper, and parsley. I let it cook for a couple of hours at 325. I made a pot of mashed potatoes (real potatoes, milk, butter, and I added three cloves of chopped garlic), and steamed some green beans.

It was wonderful!!

This morning I picked off the meat form the bird. I have a cup of chopped chicken for the freezer. I have a three quart bowl of "chicken stock" from the baking pan I put in the freezer.

I took the frame, skin, bones, some celery, a few carrots, a couple of cloves of garlic, a whole chopped onion, a bouillon cube, parsley, thyme, sage and put it in the crock pot with a couple cups of water. I'm going to let this simmer all day and cook. I still take out the skin, bones, and frame and boil some egg noodles later. It's going to be a nice cool day for some homemade chicken soup.

I'm thankful he found a marked down whole chicken for 73 cents a lb. It cost about 3 dollars and provided us with some much needed protein.

2 comments:

  1. You certainly got your money's worth out of that markdown chicken. I did much the same last week with a large family sized stuffed chicken marked down to $3 which was a bargain to me. I feel my life is based on markdowns at the moment as red meat is so expensive now in Australia and fish is way out of our price range. Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prices are so high and I don't see much relief in sight for the average family.

      Delete