Friday, January 30, 2015

Using what we have continues....

In an effort to increase the amount of fruit and veggies in our daily meals I've used a bunch of fruit and veggies for today's meal.

We are going to have homemade spaghetti sauce with Italian sausage over whole grain thin spaghetti with salad, green beans, and sliced apples.

The apples are self explanatory. I will slice them and serve on the side. We will have some green beans from the freezer and microwave them prior to eating. The whole grain thin spaghetti is a opened box that has been lurking in the pantry. There's about half a box left. It needs to go today.

Our homemade spaghetti sauce consist of 1 cup of tomato paste, 1/2 cup of water, the last of the red, yellow, orange, green peppers I cut into strips. I had one of each color left to use. I sliced up one whole onion, two cloves of garlic, a handful of fresh mushrooms (I cut them small. I don't care for huge pieces of mushrooms in my meal), two cans of diced tomato (juices included), and I put in some Italian sausage I cooked in olive oil. The Italian sausage links were taken out of their casing. I browned them on top of the stove with some olive oil. I added some basil to it and put it all in the crock pot.

We are out of fresh Parmesan cheese from Aldi. I do have some of the "shaker" Parmesan cheese if the kids would like that on their pasta. Our salad is the last of the lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, peppers from yesterday's meal. We have two dressings for it, a sweet southwestern kind, and thousand island from Aldi.

I go back to work tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment